Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mermaids, More Tatted Names and Simply Ballroom

This month ArtDoll swap is a mermaid and I thought I will give it a try. I researched a little to see how others decorated mermaid, and decided I want a beautiful one. These were what I did over the weekend - my first paper art dolls!

Done with scrapbooking cardstocks, they measured about 6.5"tall with a movable tail. I used the QuicKutz fashion doll for the top body, beads for the necklace, sequin & brad for the belly button and embroidery floss for the hair. The patterns on the tail were also highlighted with paper glace, though not obvious in the photo. I'm very pleased with them, but had to separate the twins and the elder one is on her way to Roslind in Japan.

I didn't forget to tat, I have been tatting Anna Valeire's alphabets as gift for my colleagues who have resigned. Does anyone have so high resignation rate in their company ? Sigh. Well, these are 2 of the 3 I am tatting now, and growing to love these Gutermann Sulky Cotton 30 variegated threads.


On a lighter note, I was one of the selected STAR Pass holders to get a free pair of tickets to the "Simply Ballroom" held at the Arina Stadium Waterfront. Although I have been to the Singapore Indoor Stadium numerous times for concerts, I did not know this purportedly the region’s first and biggest temporary ARINA Stadium Waterfront, and had to walk round the whole stadium compound before I found it.
Ok, I didn't go with much expectation, and to be honest, I will not consider buying my own tickets for the show. I do remembered the good times during my university days practicing ballroom dancing, it was a short stint but most enjoyable, especially when you had a good partner to lead. But well, so we were there last night and we're almost immediately swept off our feet by all the vibrant and dazzling couture gowns, the delightful songs belted out by 1 of the 8 couples, while the other 7 pairs danced effortlessly in full ensemble production numbers from Waltz to Tango, Jive to Cha Cha, under a spectacular disco ball. It was a dreamy and sensual atmosphere, captivating - sound and sight, elegance - both figures and moves, and passionate and hot at times. It was a good treat for the hour-plus; no regret for rushing down from work and skipping dinner!

I'm looking forward to the Italian opera this Sat, Puccini's La Boheme, at the Esplanade Theatre (I love the theatre there!) It will be my first time watching an opera sung in a foreign language, though it is so common nowaday to watch Korean and Japanese shows and reading the subtitles.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So wonderful. I Enjoyed reading your blog today.

Singtatter said...

Thanks Rayanna,for dropping by my blog. I have much lesser time and chance to work on the computer for personal stuff now as my boy is hogging the computer doing his homework. I rattled off a bit too much in this post :)

laura_rose said...

I also enjoyed your "rattling" :) thanks for visiting my blog...if I were truely dillegent, I would almost be finished my beds mat by now...only 1 week of holidays left and not even 1/4 of the way through the 1st of 4 pieces :( On the other hand, lots of tatting while swanning around in the truck with DH :) Hugs.

Jona Panesa said...

your dolls are lovely!!!