Friday, June 13, 2008

Tatting Books

Received my latest order from Handy Hands yesterday. I was quite amazed at the size of the box that came. No, I didn't buy so many things. I had to put both hands in and felt like I was digging for treasures beneath all the foam pieces! No wonder shipping charges charged by Handy Hands are so expensive, but look at how they shipped orders, the items are sure well-protected!
Ok, these are what I bought and digged out from the box - most of them are the latest books by Christel Weidmann, Martha Ess, Karey Solomon and Iris Niebach.
The animals in Christel's books are as usual, so realistic. My boy is so excited to see the bull, cow and calf. I love the pig and piglet. Joey wants the rabbits, but Kristine is asking where are the horses ? Come to think about it, I don't recall seeing a lot of tatted patterns for horse besides 1 small horse by Jane Eborall and 1 (rocking?) horse by Pam Pamela.

Martha's critters are so cute, I love the heart patterns and variations, and the rabbit the most. Karey's dragons should work out faster than Pam's dragon, but I will need to read the instructions first to figure out the patterns. I just finished my animal for Hanna, and I have also used beads for the scales, loved the effect of the beads, though the way I work is tedious. Must check out how Karey did her dragons! This is a sneak preview of what I did. Any guess what is it ?


Last but not least, I just had to get 3 of Iris' books, including 2 of her earlier books on doilies, after seeing so many tatters doing her doily patterns. Her patterns are sure special, I am not disappointed.

8 comments:

OmonSan said...

What a wonderful pacage you got! It will keep you busy for a long time! I envy you to have such fun ahead of you.

Singtatter said...

Hi Omonsan, thanks for leaving a comment. I have left a comment in your blog too. Love the Mary Konior's patterns you tatted!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

You sure did get a lot of nice tatting books. I'm sure you will enjoy tatting from all of them. I just placed an order from Handy Hands too and can't wait for it to get here. I also got the Tatted Farm Animals book. I have been looking for chicken patterns. This one has a Rooster, Hen and some chicks. I will get the Tatted Dragons next time. Do you happen to know whose sight there are pictures of the tatted dragons that they did from the book. I saw it a few weeks ago and can't find it again?

If you are looking for a tatted horse, Inga Madsen's book of Tatted Animals has one. You can see it on my blog.

http://caroltats.blogspot.com/search/label/Tatted%20Horse

What thread did you get, the colors look great!

Unknown said...

Oh, what a fun and wonderful stash! I went "shopping" at Handy Hands the other day and before you know it I had $150 USD in my cart...LOL ooopsy....I don't have $15 to spend on tatting right now...let alone $150 so my handy hands order will have to wait.
Happy Tatting!

Singtatter said...

Hi Carol, you will love Christel's Tatted Farm Animals!

For the dragons, here's one tatted by Sherry http://celticdreamweave.blogspot.com/2008/04/here-is-picture-of-my-finished-hector.html and the dragons tatted by Karey herself in her blog http://gracefulartsfiberstudio.blogspot.com/. I can't recall if any others have posted the dragons.
And oh thanks for reminding Inga's horse.

The threads are Omega size 50 #137 and 138. Just want to try the Omega threads!

TattingChic, take your time, I have to accumulate what I want and order at one go to defray the shipping charges. Perhaps it's international shipping, shipping came up to US$35.70!

rainbows and raindrops said...

Oooooo ELLEN I KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!!!!! I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING IT! PLEASE WRITE THE PATTERN DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jullie Teo said...

Hey Ellen, I think I know what is that.... Something related to S'pore??? HEHEHEHE

Can't wait to see the outcome...

Singtatter said...

I think Aileen and Julie have guessed it!